Latest posts by Mata Arah (see all)
- Observing Javan Gibbons in Leuweung Sancang Nature Conservation - August 8, 2017
- The Wonderful Klayar Beach, Java Island, Indonesia - July 11, 2017
- Mata Arah is Nominated For The Liebster Award!! - May 29, 2017
Wow, a few days ago we got a message from one of our fellow blogger friends, Margaux and Julien, that are on their world travel by hitchhiking! Yes, that’s right people! Hitchhiking their way from France along the way Europe and now they are in Albania. Curious how they did it? Then we recommend you to follow their travel through their amazing blog in SERIAL HIKERS. Oh and the message was, they are nominating us in Liebster Award. Woohoo..!!!
Some of you might be wondering what Liebster Awards is? Well here is the answer,
The Liebster award is an online award, given by fellow bloggers to other bloggers. There is no trophy involved in it, and the award is simply passed on. It exists to acknowledge and introduce the newbie’s who are trying to lay their impressions in their personal areas of interest in the blogging and is also a medium to promote and support the fellow friends in the blogging community.
The word Liebster has German origin with several meanings: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart, etc.
First of all, big THANKS to SERIAL HIKERS for this nomination. It’s our pleasure to be able to participate and revealing 11 facts about us, answering your 11 questions, nominating 11 bloggers, and giving them our 11 questions!
Our 11 revelations…
- It’s been a few months now that we live in Indonesia and yet, I (Jess) still can’t eat spicy food!! Which makes Issei’s life pretty complicated, especially when we want to eat outside. But, he is still confident that one day I will be able to handle the minimum spicy of Indonesian cuisines!
- Issei always accepted a piece of cheese that my family offered during our family dinner…..but he HATES it!! His Indonesian culture forbids him to refuse any food being offered when you are a guest in somebody house. After sometimes finally I realised that Indonesian culture plays an important part in his everyday life. And yes, such as most of Indonesian, SMILING is something crucial and a MUST to everyone we meet 🙂
- Our meeting was a bit unconventional! Indeed, to make it simple, I was the girlfriend of the brother of Issei girlfriend!!! Complicated right! But it’s been now almost four years that our love brings us everywhere!
- Issei would never admit it, but he comes to France for me!!! Shuussshh… this stay between us!!!
- We just bought a beautiful VW Combi 1977 and decided to go on an adventure with it…..but the truth is we don’t know anything about the engine and bought it because of that was the cheapest car and home we can afford!!! But we want to learn, so we do believe everything will be alright. Or at least we hope so!!
- I love to travel, and I don’t want to stop, but…I cannot sleep even half-hour in any transportation! Which makes my life, my mood and then so Issey’s life complicated!! Well, I have to admit that Issei’s ability to sleep anywhere and in any condition is surprising.
- In fact, ISAI’s name has to be written like this, but because he doesn’t like the Indonesian pronunciation (they say every letter), he decided to change the writing and so the pronunciation to “Issei” or even “Issey” !!! But in French, it’s close to « il sait » which means “he knows”!!So he both country he has trouble with his name pronunciation!!
- We had to get married for me to be able to stay in Indonesia for a year. Not that we don’t love each other, but we were not ready for it yet! So we decided to keep the big celebration for the day we would feel ready!
- In spite people thinking, Issei from Indonesia is much more educated with his 2 masters (one from France), than me with a simple degree.
- Our first kiss was on the top of the Slamet volcano that we hiked togeher…..we hope to go back there to celebrate our 5th anniversary.
- Oh and the best for the end……Issei always says “I can swim, it’s just that I cannot float!”. He always makes me laugh when he said that!!
We hope you enjoyed these revelations!!
Our 11 answers….
As we don’t have the answers with Issey, we’ll write each our answers and don’t be surprised with Issey’s answers as he can be so random and absurd most of the time!!
- If you could take only one object with you, which one would you choose?
Jess: My passport. It is my freedom, without it I couldn’t go where I want to!
Issei: Money…because with money I could pay all the things I need. Including my ticket and visa.
- Could you travel on the roads for one year without internet?
Jess: NO! Even if I love travelling, my family is still an essential point in my happiness. Without internet access, it means I can’t get some news from them, and it will make neither me or them feel happy about the travel…and I think they would completely agree with me!
Issei: YES! As long as I travel with you *wink hahaha
- What would be your best advice for travelling?
Jess: Keep smiling and open to locals when you travel. They are the one who will give you the best experience and also who will tell you where are the hidden places to visit!
Issei: Travel with the free mind: don’t leave any unfinished work that could disturb your mind while travelling.
- Does money bring happiness?
Jess: You would have asked me this question few years before, I would I said no, but now I would say YES! In here I don’t say that the more money you have, the happier you are…this NO. I don’t think that the quantity of money that you own will make you happier. In my point of view, as long as you have enough money to live as you want, then you can be happy. For example, with Issey, we are far from being rich! But, we have enough money to be able to travel and live the life we choose. Even if our budget doesn’t allow me to have more than one pair of shoes or ten trousers, I still happy.
Issei: YES. Unless I can buy a flight ticket with my smile!! But like Jess, there is differents situations and context to consider. For example, I know many people in Indonesia that have a really low salary, but they wouldn’t want to exchange their life with anyone…Why…because they have enough to be happy (healthy family, a job, a roof, a beautiful place to live…).
- If you could change the world, what would be your first decision?
Jess: There are so many things to change that I wouldn’t know where to start!! But maybe take off all the borders is an idea that I really like for so many reasons…
Issei: No more money. I will change money into high-five. Do you want to buy food? Let’s high-five! School tuition? Nah.. “Go on gimme five brothers… yeaahh!!”
- What are you the proudest of?
Jess: of Issei: I know how hard he has to fight his culture and religion because let’s not forgotten that he is Muslim. Despite the barriers of his country and the reproaches of his family, he still does what makes him happy. The perfect example, he chooses me as his wife, me a foreigner without religion! It’s a big NO-NO to be atheist in Indonesia.
Issei: Long story short, our decision to do this adventure. You have to know that in Indonesian society, “being successful” is very important. It means having a job in an office, a car, a wife and kids even if you are wasting your life doing something that you hate. Or I can say “image of stability above all”. So living in a van on the road while distributing children books is definitely not the definition of “Indonesian success”. And I have to admit that sometimes it gets pretty exhausting to be against the society and has to justify yourself all the time. But f**k it, let’s do this haha
- A quote?
Jess: ” If you think you are too small to make a difference…try sleeping with a mosquito” Le Dalai Lama
Issei: “liberté, égalité, fraternité.”
- What is your remedy when you have hard blows while travelling? (depress, bored,…)
Jess: Watching a movie. It helps me to stop thinking and makes me busy.
Issei: Normal stuff, reading and listening to music.
- If your travel would be a Movie, which one it would be?
Jess: “The secret life of Walter Mitty”: an easy movie that can inspire people to go on an adventure, and I like the jokes in the film.
Issei: “Free Willy”!!
- How do you see yourself after your travel?
Jess: I can see myself becoming a mother!!! We are getting really close to the 30’s, so of course, it’s a topic that starts to go up.
Issei: Opening beer brewery in Yogjakarta.
- What is the word or expression that you say the most? (swear words accepted!)
Jess: “Kontol” an indonésian swear-world that means “dick” but that they use as a “Fuck”!
Issei: “Tranquilo chicas”! – Yes I do agree since he watched “Narcos” series on Netflix lately (Jess)
Our 11 Questions….
It wasn’t that easy to create 11 questions, but we tried our best especially Issey!
- Why do you like travelling?
- Which country you love the most and why?
- What culture of a country that shocked you the most?
- What was your first country and why this one?
- Have you experienced love during your travel?
- What essential travel gear do you use for your travel?
- Which seat on a transportation do you prefer and why?
- What was the worst situation that you had to face while travelling?
- What do you regret the most along your travel?
- Where do you want to live (country, city…) and why?
- Did you already get a visa rejected and the reason?
And…….our 11 nominations!!!
- Parents-voyageurs: Emilie gives you all of her advisees and tricks to travel easily with two babies. Thanks to her, we really love the idea of making your kids discover the world…we really hope to follow her path in few years!
- Takatoukiter: A French couple is doing a world trip and share with us their adventures and preparation.
- Rissaboo: A special traveller that will take you everywhere through his music, writing and pictures.
- Les2frenchtrotters: Marc et Solange, a French couple travelling and writing good articles and nice videos about their journey.
- Mel Loves Travel: Melissa starts love travelling by discovering her area first then she takes you to explore the world.
- JuliaenAmériquedusud: Julia, a solo female traveller currently in Colombia. Want to go to South America? This is the great place to start.
- Ticketto: Gaspard love to takes pictures, to tells and writes his impressions and experiences about the different places he has discovered.
- Explore le monde: follow the crazy adventures of Maryne et Jules…like travelling with a tuk-tuk in France!!!
- AlenTourdu Monde: Margaux and Mathurin are discovering the world with their thumbs up! Hitchhiking is their goal. They also have the will to help and exchange with different communities along their way …. an excellent project.
- Explorer la planète de Pierre-Luc: With more than 50 countries on his passport, this Québécois shares with us his favourites and adventures.
- Les cahiers vagabonds: Marc and Mélissa have the desire to share their experiences through their stories and photographies about the world.
Here is the end of the article, and again, we wanted to THANK Serial Hikers Margaux and Julien for this nomination. Thank you 🙂
English is not our native tongue, so we are sorry for all of the grammatical error in this article. Thanks for your understanding.
If you enjoy this article, please support us by COMMENT & SHARE this article and FOLLOW & LIKE our social media. Thanks!